Reaching the Top This Year as a Team: 10 Steps for Impactful Fundraising
Komen CSNJ Provides Tips, Tricks and Resources to Help You Raise Lifesaving Funds for Breast Cancer
It’s almost that time of year for the annual MORE THAN PINK Walk on Sunday, November 3 at Six Flags Great Adventure! Although the event is just a few months away, you can still make an impact in the fight against breast cancer by fundraising.
As a team captain, you can encourage your fellow team members to fundraise for our mission to end breast cancer forever. Those who raise the most will be honored as top fundraisers throughout the year, and will receive some great rewards as a token of our gratitude.
Fundraising can be intimidating, but we are here to help with ideas, inspiration, tips and tricks.
Things to Remember Before Starting
There is power in numbers, especially when it comes to fundraising. This means, recruit, recruit, recruit! Ask friends, family, and others who want to make a difference to join your team and set a fundraising goal for themselves. Remember that everyone is a potential donor; don’t be afraid to ask those that you know! You may be surprised with the wonderful generosity you receive.
Sharing your story is a great place to start in your fundraising — in an email, on social media or even in person — and show that breast cancer care begins with all of us.
We have many great resources to help you and your team fundraise:
Why Fundraise? Where Does the Money Go?
At Susan G. Komen Central and South Jersey, the money that is raised throughout the year goes directly back into the community. Because of your help, last year alone we invested nearly $1 million in the fight against breast cancer.
In 2018, $600,000 was invested in our Community Grants Program, which annually funds projects to help meet the most critical breast cancer needs in our 13-county service area. Locally, these funds provided:
- 154 community members were provided with diagnostic tests
- 7675 community members were educated on breast cancer risk
- 575 community members were provided with transportation assistance
- 102 community members were provided with financial assistance for out-of-pocket costs
- 900 community members were provided with screening mammograms administered
- 985 community members were provided with screening referrals
In addition to funding our Community Grants program, Komen CSNJ has invested $25,000 in the Susan G. Komen Treatment Assistance Fund. This program provides financial assistance, education and support services to low-income, under-insured and uninsured breast cancer patients throughout central and southern New Jersey.
We are committed to providing funds for national breast cancer research initiatives, too. In 2018, we invested $275,000 in breast cancer research for new technologies and novel treatments. Research is one of our strongest weapons fighting this disease.
Is it Really That Easy?
It absolutely can be! Here are 10 simple fundraising ideas that you can use:
1. Put a donate jar on your desk
2. Hold a garage sale. Ask friends and neighbors to participate in donating items. Make signs that indicate proceeds are going to Komen CSNJ.
3. Host a fundraising house party. Invite friends, family, co-workers, and neighbors. Share experiences, passions, and reasons for fundraising and ask them to support you.
4. Host a game night. Serve food and drinks and ask for a suggested donation.
5. Contact the editor of your local newspaper or company newsletter, to cover an interview about your team and include a request for support. Be sure to include instructions on how to donate to your team.
6. Host a bake sale. Ask friends, family, and co-workers to donate treats for the bake sale. Host the event at work, in your neighborhood, your local market or church.
7. Organize a car wash. Consider selling pre-sale tickets so you have an idea of how many people will attend. If they don’t show up, you will still have their donation!
8. $5 a week. Keep a jar and add $5 a week. By Walk day, you will have a wonderful fundraising amount.
9. Use special occasions to your advantage. Instead of receiving birthday gifts, ask for a donation! Facebook makes it easy for you to donate your birthday, holiday or other special occasion right on its website.
10. Speaking of Facebook, once you sign up for the MORE THAN PINK Walk, you can connect your fundraising page right to your personal Facebook page. A convenient and easy way to raise funds with friends and family!
Participants who register and fundraise $100 by September 29 will receive this exclusive MORE THAN PINK Walk blinking button necklace via mail. Wear it on Walk morning to show everyone your dedication to ending breast cancer.
Teams have some sweet rewards for fundraising hard:
$500 Raised — We’ll pack a team box for you to pick up at our offices week of the event or on Walk Day; otherwise, your team members can pick up shirts as individuals on event morning.
$2,500 Raised — We’ll ship/drop off your team box.
$5,000 Raised — Your team will earn a spot in our amazing VIP Tent.
Deadline for these rewards is October 11, 2019.
We have some wonderful additional recognition items for fundraising participants featured below:
Thanks to fundraisers like you, we are saving lives together on a local and global scale. You make a difference in the fight against breast cancer.
Sign up for the MORE THAN PINK Walk, check out more fundraising tips and start your fundraiser today: komencsnj.org/walk