It’s almost that time of year for the annual MORE THAN PINK Walk on Sunday, November 4 — and this year we’re thrilled to still be fundraising with you virtually! Although the event is only a few months away, you can still make a tremendous impact in the fight against breast cancer by giving a push to your fundraising efforts now.
As a team captain, you can encourage your fellow team members to fundraise for our mission to end breast cancer forever. As an individual or team member, you can invite your friends and family to get involved by taking action with a donation. Those who raise the most will be honored as top fundraisers throughout the year and will receive some great rewards as a token of our gratitude.
Asking for donations can be intimidating, but we are here to help with ideas, inspiration, tips and tricks.
Things to Remember Before You Begin
There is power in numbers, especially when it comes to fundraising. This means, recruit, recruit, recruit! Ask friends, family, and others who want to make a difference to join your team and set a fundraising goal for themselves. Remember that everyone is a potential donor; don’t be afraid to ask those that you know! You may be surprised with the wonderful generosity you receive.
Sharing your story is a great place to start in your fundraising — in an email, on social media or even in person — and show that breast cancer care begins with all of us.
We have many great resources to help you and your team fundraise:
Why Fundraise? Where Does the Money Go?
The more money we raise at the 2020 Komen New Jersey Virtual MORE THAN PINK Walk, the more of an impact we’ll make to support loved ones affected by breast cancer. When you take action and fundraise, know that your dollars go on to fight breast cancer on all fronts.
Funds raised help support Komen’s work to save lives through breakthrough research, advocacy and to support patients, including through Komen’s Breast Care Helpline, Clinical Trial Information Helpline, and other direct patient support services.
Is it Really That Easy?
It absolutely can be!
Here are 10 simple fundraising ideas that you can use:
1. Put a donate jar on your desk
2. Hold a garage sale. Ask friends and neighbors to participate in donating items. Make signs that indicate proceeds are going to Komen New Jersey.
3. Hold a silent auction and have local businesses ana restaurants donate their goods and services.
4. Invite your friends and family to your home or create a virtual dinner party in exchange for donations. Make it a fun potluck and vote on the best looking dish.
5. Contact the editor of your local newspaper or company newsletter, to cover an interview about your fundraising efforts or team and include a request for support. Be sure to include instructions on how to donate.
6. Clean out your closets and garage and hold an online sale. Post your items online and apply your sales to your fundraising goal.
7. Organize a social-distancing car wash. Consider selling pre-sale tickets so you have an idea of how many people will attend. If they don’t show up, you will still have their donation!
8. Save $5 a week. Keep a jar and add $5 each week. By Walk day, you will have a large self-generated fundraising amount.
9. Use special occasions to your advantage. Instead of receiving birthday gifts, ask for a donation! Facebook makes it easy for you to donate your birthday, holiday or other special occasion right on its website.
10. Speaking of Facebook, once you sign up for the Virtual MORE THAN PINK Walk, you can connect your fundraising page right to your personal Facebook page. A convenient and easy way to raise funds with friends and family!
Every fundraising goal this community hits brings us all closer to preventing and ending breast cancer. 2020 Komen New Jersey Virtual MORE THAN PINK Walk is so grateful for the dedication of each fundraiser and donor. We want to thank our participants by celebrating every fundraising success and milestone.
View all recognition items here.
Thanks to fundraisers like you, we are saving lives together on a local and global scale. You make a difference in the fight against breast cancer.
Sign up for the Virtual MORE THAN PINK Walk, check out more fundraising tips and start your fundraiser today: komennewjersey.org/walk