Komen CSNJ’s Metastatic Breast Cancer Conference Inspired and Empowered the Community
This impactful event was filled with education, advocacy and celebration.
Susan G. Komen Central and South Jersey (Komen CSNJ) hosted its first annual Metastatic Breast Cancer Conference on Sunday, May 5, 2019 at The Event Center @ iPA. This event brought together women and men living with metastatic breast cancer, caregivers and healthcare professionals to connect with one another, share relevant information and learn about a variety of topics relating to this disease.
“We thank everyone for attending Komen CSNJ’s first-ever Metastatic Breast Cancer Conference,” said Suzanne Corson, executive director of Komen CSNJ. “Every step, every dollar and every voice counts in our fight against metastatic breast cancer, and we are so grateful to all who lent their voice into making this event a success.”
Melissa Surdez, Komen CSNJ board member and metastatic breast cancer liver, began the event with a heartfelt opening address, welcoming her “fellow sisters” living with metastatic breast cancer and discussing the need for coming together and finding support for this disease.
Komen Scholar Dr. Yibin Kang of Princeton University presented interesting new findings from his lab about bone metastasis of breast cancer, research that has been supported by the generosity of Komen supporters and donors throughout the years.
Throughout the day, the Conference featured breakout presentations from experts in the metastatic breast cancer fields of care and research:
- Dr. Seth Cohen, RWJBarnabas Health: “The Effects of Complementary Therapies on Metastatic Breast Cancer”
- Marissa Fors, CancerCare: “A Caregiver’s Role: It Takes a Village”
- Dr. Mila Gorsky, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center: “Metastatic Breast Cancer: What We Have Learned Through Clinical Trials”
- Dr. Nandini Ignatius, Regional Cancer Care Associates: “Palliative Care: Pain Management for Metastatic Breast Cancer”
- Dr. Coral Omene, RWJBarnabas Health: “Current Trends in the Treatment of Metastatic Breast Cancer”
- Evelyn Robles-Rodriguez, MD Anderson Cancer Center at Cooper: “Debunking Metastatic Breast Cancer and Treatment Myths”
An exhilarating Zumba® session with 22-year breast cancer survivor and 3-year lung cancer survivor Nancy Young inspired attendees to dance their heart out and get their sweat on.
An advocacy panel gave guests the opportunity to discuss concerns, questions and ideas relating to metastatic breast cancer in an open and friendly environment. Topics ranged from mammogram guidelines to pain management. This panel was moderated by Karen Correa, Komen CSNJ board member, and hosted by Surdez and Danielle Pantalone, Cullari Communications Global.
Maria McKeon and Michele Gannon of Mary’s Place by the Sea presented on the topic of nutrition, focusing on the importance of eating healthy during breast cancer treatment.
Feedback from a focus group of metastatic breast cancer patients and caregivers helped design this conference. The focus group was hosted by MJH Associates, Inc.
You are not alone in your journey with breast cancer; Komen CSNJ is here for you. Learn more: komencsnj.org.